Saturday, November 9, 2019

Saturday Matinee - The Return



They had been tracking them since they had entered their solar system.....at first they had thought that maybe it was a natural phenomenon....a comet perhaps...if so it would surely be captured by the gas giants of the outer system and pulled into their orbits or to their doom!!!!
But they watched in growing trepidation as they passed the outer giants....surely that meant they had some type of propulsion of their own!!!! That implied the possibility of intelligent control.....
In the world council the arguments raged....
"I say it must be a comet or some rogue asteroid.....the idea of intelligent control is preposterous!!!!"
"But if so how do you account for it's ability to avoid the gravitational prison of the giant planet Hyperion? Nothing has entered the system without getting either captured or destroyed by the gas giant.....I believe you should explain counselor Reyta...."
"I disagree....counselor Mar.....many small impact craters are visible throughout the inner system.....or are you denying their existence...."
The debate raged when suddenly the doors flew open and the chief astronomer burst in....
"It's not just one.....it's a cluster of many objects and the current trajectory has them making impact in the great Eastern Sea!!!!"
"But are they just rocks or are they something other....."
"We don't yet know Counselor Mar.....I am trying to trace the path back to their source...we will be working on nothing else....I suggest an evacuation of the coastal tribes.....just as a precaution...."
"You are quite correct Asima....I will order it to be done immediately.....how long do you estimate till impact?"
"If they keep their current speed they should reach our surface in three days....I should be able to report on their substance in less than ten hours as they near the range of my equipment!!!!"
"Bah.....I think it's much ado about nothing.....even if they are, somehow, intelligently driven....they will surely burn up in our atmosphere if they enter at that speed...."
"How many of our sister's lives are4 you willing to risk on that supposition Reyta?"
"Mar....you've always been willing to believe the most outlandish theories.....why I remember you once tried to convince me that men were some type of benefit to a society...what nonsense...."
"Mark my words Reyta....this could be a threat our world is totally unprepared for!!!!"
"We shall see...."
Time passed so slowly.....every tick of the clock seemed like an eternity....
On the coast the evacuation had begun and the people were moving inland in an orderly fashion....
The rest of society continued in peace.....blissfully unaware of the potential threat from space....
Counselor  Mar paced in her office.....it was useless to try and sleep.....and sex with her Robo had been unsatisfying and only left her more on edge than she was before....finally she gave up and headed for the Dome.....where the astronomers worked their instruments...all intent on the incoming target.....
"What news Asima...."
"I was just about to contact you.....please come into my office where we can speak in private...."
Closing the door behind them Asima released a deep sigh and fell into her chair....her hands rubbing her temples....
"They are coming back, Mar, they are coming back.....I have traced the path back to where they originated and it's that planet....you know the one I mean.....it took me a while to determine it because it had been erased from the celestial database....but that's where it came from...."
"Are you sure....I mean absolutely sure.....Asima....this is astounding.....how could it be....when they were banished they were left with nothing....no tools....no tech....on a hostile planet....it was a death sentence....."
"Apparently not....they're coming back....there's no doubt in my mind....."
"Oh my goddess....."
"They have slowed their speed to allow for a safe entry into our atmosphere....they are coming and there's nothing we can do to stop them....."
"What of their ships.....surely we have weapons that could destroy them...."
"According to our spectroscopic analysis they're mad of some substance we've never encountered....perhaps something native to their world....we have no defense against them.....they will be here in a short time....."
"I don't know what to do Asima....do I announce this and cause widespread panic or do I control this as a military matter...."
"I'd wait and see what they want but I'd have the military ready to respond...."
"Exactly what I was thinking.....keep me informed...."
The time ticked past.....
"They're coming in giant Balls...."
"Asima....what do you mean?"
"It's them.....that's for certain Mar, it's the men that we banished decades ago.....they're coming back.....their ships are huge round spheres.....they'll be landing their balls in our ocean in a matter of hours.....they've made radio contact....they say that they need relief from the exile we imposed on them......they say that we owe it to them....they say that they must have release from their exile.....they emphasized that they needed release!!!"
"But what can we do.....what will I tell the council???"
"I'd tell them they'd better get used to handling the Balls and make sure the men get their relief......or goddess knows what kind of explosions might occur!!!!"
"I think you're right.....we're going to have to handle the Balls before they empty out and cover us in a male mess the likes of which we are totally unprepared to handle!!!!"














No comments:

Post a Comment