Saturday, January 1, 2022

Saturday Matinee - Twilight of the Gods

 

 
Claude was just finishing up....
Everything was in its place and ready for the display....
The final piece of statuary had finally arrived from the archaeological dig in the hills outside of Rome....
It was standing where it would be the first thing to catch the eyes of whoever entered the exhibit.....
There was debate still ongoing about which Roman deity it was....but it was intact and beautiful....
Claude was a researcher of ancient religion and mythology....and he lingered in front of the statue....it was so lifelike....a real master must have sculpted it....but there were no records of the piece to be found anywhere....
He was alone in the exhibit....and so he fell into his old habit of thinking out loud....
"Who are you....man or god.....you're perfection was wrought by the hands of mortals but they must have been inspired by the gods!!!"
"If only it was real.....a time where the gods spoke to us directly....when gifts were given and sacrifices were accepted with gratitude.....not like it is today when we're asked to accept things on faith....with no proof.....the gods of your time gave examples of their existence all the time!!!"
"If you were a god in our time....I would worship at your feet....such is your beauty...and I would bring others....and I would be your priest.....or rather I would be your priestess should you grant me that gift..."
"But alas....we may never know the glory of having real gods among us...."
He turned to leave....searching for his keys....tomorrow was the big day....as he stepped to the door he heard something!!!!
Whirling around he thought he must have gone mad!!!
The statue had moved....it was no longer on its pedestal. but rather stood with it's feet parted....and when she looked up she could swear that the statue was looking right at him....and it was smiling!!!
"Mortal....wait upon me!!!"
It spoke to him....Claude stepped back, overwhelmed with fear.....fear that the statue was alive.....fear that he was losing his mind!!!!
"Do not fear me Mortal....I will not hurt you...."
His ears heard the words spoken in ancient Roman Latin....but in his mind they were spoken in perfect modern English!!!!
"Did you really talk?"
"I did...didn't you hear me?"
"I did....but this can't be real....I must be going insane...."
"No Mortal....you have not lost your senses....you looked upon me and spoke the truth....a truth I have not heard for thousands of years!!! There was a time when all mankind recognized that truth....that there were gods who walked the earth among them....that we asked for little and gave much.....when mankind was young we protected and taught them...we pledged to keep them safe and healthy....and so it was for many many years..."
"OK.....I'm going to pretend I'm not losing my mind.....may I ask you a question?"
"Certainly Mortal.....you are the first child of man who I've spoken to in millennia..."
"If you cared for humanity like you say.....what happened? Why were you forgotten?"
"Men became dissatisfied....they wanted more than we thought it safe to give....they found other idols to worship....and slowly but surely we were shunted aside....most of my brothers and sisters departed this world long ago.....but I remained in hopes that mankind would find their way back to us....you were the first modern voice i've heard yearning for the gods to return.....and now I have hope....hope for the future....hope for humanity....hope that we can once again exist together!!!"
"I meant what I said.....I would be your priest....I would bring the people back to the old ways....if you'd allow me that honor!!!"
"I was listening to you very carefully Mortal.....and that's not all you said...."
"Yes.....I asked for a gift.....it was very presumptuous of me and I ask your forgiveness..."
"Not at all Mortal.....it's a simple thing....and a favor I have granted hundreds of times over the many years when humans believed...."
"I believe now....I think I always did.....and maybe some day you'll grant this to me as well..."
"As I said....it's such a simple thing......"
There was swirl of light and energy forming around Claude....he felt vast power touching him....molding him.....and then it was done.....where Claude had stood a moment ago Claudette now stood in his place!!!!
The reality of it crashed upon him all at once!!!! How could this be? How could he explain what had happened? Who would believe him....her?
The statue bent its head and must have sensed his sudden panic....
"Don't trouble yourself Mortal....there is nought to explain....you are a woman now....as you wished to be....but in this world that is how you were born and raised....a simple adjustment made and your male self never was....soon the memory will fade for you too....it will be reality for you...."
"How can I possibly thank you for this great gift.....what can I give to you in return?"
The statue smiled and stepped back up onto its pedestal....
"Do as you've promised.....become my priestess....bring the people back to me.....maybe some of my brothers and sisters will return from the other realms and we can begin a new shining age for all mankind!!!!"
"I will....I will preach far and wide and I will bring them.....by the hundreds....by the thousands.....and we will praise you as a living god...."
The statue resumed its silent pose....and spoke no more!!!

The Imp was enjoying the story very much as the Prince of Darkness spun his tale....
"So you used the old Idol worship thing....and he fell for it?"
"I told you he would....I gave him what he wanted and now he's going to draw some sizable portion of mankind back into worshiping a graven image....I know that's one of the ten big sins and it will drive them  crazy upstairs.....there might even be some fire and brimstone....you know....like in the old days....."
"I have to hand it to you, Boss....one little thing like that will get us thousands of new souls for the pits of fire.....we might have to expand!!!"









2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! We goddesses do love the attention, even if it's not on the level!

    Happy New Year to you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of you goddesses can have me worshiping whenever you'd like!!!
      The little twist on the end was added two nights after I had finished this one....
      Happy New Year to you too Sweet Dee!!!
      Kisses
      Kaaren

      Delete