Saturday, December 23, 2017

Saturday Matinee - On the Streets

She wept bitter tears....if only she had tried harder....if only her husband had lived....if only....if only...if only...
He had been a cute little boy but after his father was gone and I had to take on more work he had no one to guide him....he had only the streets....and he fell in with a bad crowd....and they changed him!!!!
What was a mother to do? I worked so hard just to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table....I had no extra money to give him when he wanted to dress like the others in his gang....they all wore fancy clothes but I knew some of their families and they couldn't afford the things their sons were buying either....I knew they were up to no good, but what could I do?!?!?!
Then he started coming home like them....dressed to the nines....and he had money....more than I did and, god forgive me, I took what he gave me and I didn't ask where it came from!!!!
So I didn't know what he was doing, that's why I didn't stop him....I know it's a poor excuse but it's the only one I have....when you're like us....in the cold water tenements....you learn to not ask questions....
It was a complete surprise to me when the cops came to our door and hauled him away....
He kicked and fought as they dragged him away...
But by the next day he was back....out there on the stoop....with his friends....smiling at the men who had thick wallets....but what's a mother to do....










No comments:

Post a Comment