Saturday, February 6, 2021

Saturday Matinee - Touched By an Angel


 
 
He prayed as he did every night....ever since he was a child.....he had led a virtuous and pious life....he never asked for anything except this one thing....he had given to others his whole life....he had refrained from sinful acts...and he asked for nothing for himself except this one thing....he knelt beside his bed and prayed....
"Please god....make me a woman...."
There was a flash of light and a slight smell of sulfur.....and suddenly he wasn't alone....
"You know....I can make that happen for you my friend...I can make you into the woman you've always wanted to be....for a small price...."
He sprang to his feet and backed away from the being sitting so casually on his bed...
"I know who you are Devil....begone from here....I will do no business with you!!!"
"So....you're a religious fanatic....look, I get that...but let's just talk for a few minutes...I mean, after all....I took the time out of my busy day to come all this way just to talk....you don't have to be so rude to a guest...."
"You are no guest of mine Devil!!!"
"Yeah....look I've played to hostile audiences before....but think about it...I'm here to answer your prayers...."
"I didn't pray to you....I would never pray to you...."
"But how can you be sure that I wasn't sent here to answer your prayers?'
"But....that couldn't be....you're the Prince of Darkness....the Pestilence that walks the earth....the personification of evil...."
"Stop....you're making me blush....look all I'm saying is that you said a prayer and I appeared to answer it.....you know I'm an angel right?"
"A fallen angel..."
"Still an angel though....I've still got my key to the Elysian Fields....so is it so hard for you to imagine that I'm the one who will answer your prayers...."
"Well....if you put it that way....maybe that makes sense...."
"Of course it does.....now lets talk....you want to be a woman and I want to make that come true for you....and all I need from you is for you to sign this contract...."
"I know what you want Devil....you want my soul....you want to take me to the infernal depths and torture my soul for eternity in exchange for fleeting mortal pleasures..."
"Well....yeah....if you put it that way.....I prefer to think about it as making your dreams come true and giving you an eternity to remember how good it all was...."
"So I could have what my heart most desires, Devil? You could make my dream come true? You could give me the life I always wanted?"
"Sure that sounds like a deal...."
"Would I be beautiful....the most beautiful woman in the world...."
"Well one of the most beautiful....I've already made deals with a few people...."
"Could I be rich beyond my wildest dreams?"
"Oh that's easy....heck I have more than half of the billionaires already....you didn't really think that all those college dropouts became super rich without my help..."
"Could I be powerful.....have dominion over mankind?"
"You mean like a whips and chains thing....hey whatever floats your boat...I'll tell you what...lets get it all down on paper....and then the world is yours...."
"No....Devil!!!! A thousand times no!!!! I would rather die an unhappy old man than become a tortured damned soul....I will never make a deal with you....never...."
The room was suddenly illuminated from a light pouring in the window....a feeling of warmth coursed through him....he was safe from the devil now....he knew it....
A voice spoke to him....surrounded him....as if he was in loving arms....it soothed him just to hear it....
"This one is mine....you couldn't lure him away with your promises....back away from him Lucifer....he will not follow the path of the sinners Adam and Eve...he has stayed true!!!"
"Adam and Eve!!!! Are you still mad about that!!!! How can you hold a grudge for so long? It really seems kind of petty...."
"Quiet foul one....my son I am here to answer your prayers...."
"Yeah,,,,so was I until you interrupted..."
"I told you to be quiet...."
"Or what....you going to cast me into the depths of hell....been there done that...."
"Pay no attention to the evil one my son.....if you truly wish to change all you must do is reach into the divine light....and your prayers will be answered...."
And he tentatively reached into the light and he felt the change sweep over him....his prayers were answered.....she dropped to her knees and gave thanks for the blessing she had received!!!!
"Go Lucifer....trouble my faithful daughter no more...."
"You know I almost had him until you showed up...."
"Well....it sucks to be you doesn't it?"
"I'll get the next one....you watch...."
"Of course I'll watch....I'm omniscient....I see everything!"
"Ahhh....shit!"
In a puff of smoke he was gone....and the divine light faded....and all that was left was the woman....kneeling and saying thank you, over and over, as the tears ran down her cheeks!!!







2 comments:

  1. You are such a silver tongued devil yourself Kaaren for writing this one up. I was sort of rooting for the devil, but then again, that just might be my nature. Perhaps you could work for the infernal one as well! Commissions on souls are still pretty good, and the spiffs are well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said before I enjoy using this character....a snarky devil just seems so right to me....I mean....don't you think if he was real he'd be just like this?
      I remember seeing Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore in the movie "Bedazzled" when I was young and it left me with two impressions on my young mind....the devil was charming, sarcastic and sneaky....and I wanted to wear undies just like Raquel Welch!!!
      Thanks so much for all your compliments on these posts....they're a labor of love....I probably enjoy them more than anybody!!!!
      I'll leave a box of sno-caps at the snack counter for you for next time!!!!
      Kisses
      Kaaren

      Delete