Saturday, October 16, 2021

Saturday Matinee - The Queen of Broadway

 

 
This was the twelfth time Norman had come to the theater to see the brilliant Katherine Dumond perform....
She was the Queen of Broadway and he was her biggest fan....his eyes were locked on her and he didn't pay any mind to the gentleman who slipped into the empty seat next to him....
He knew all of her lines...all of her movements....as well as she did....
He smiled at her small humorous motions.....he shed a tear when she cried....
And he was on his feet before anyone else to give her a rousing ovation when she came out for a bow....
He was hoping that this time she would actually notice him but inside he knew that would never happen....after all she was a star and he was a nobody....
What would it be like to be a star like her....to have the audiences rapt attention....to have them all appreciating you....what would he give to be like her!!!
He turned to pick up his coat and finally noticed the man seated next to him....
The man's eyes weren't on the stage....he was staring at him....and he had a slight smile that was a little unnerving....
"Excuse me....can I get past you..."
The man didn't move a muscle....
"If you don't mind....I'd like to get past you...."
The mans smile grew a little....
"I can do that for you Norman....I can make you a star....just like her....if that's what you really want...."
Norman suddenly wanted out of the theater very badly!
"Excuse me.....I have to go..."
Without waiting he pushed past the man and hurried up the aisle to the exit....
He glanced back, but the man was gone....
He rushed around the corner to the stage door, hoping to catch a glimpse of his idol....but the crush of people was too much for him and he turned to make his way home.....when suddenly the man from the theater was there at his side!!!!
"This could be for you Norman, this could be your life....you could be a star...."
Norman was now a little frightened.....who was this man.....how did he know his name...
"Excuse me...."
Norman pushed past the smiling man and rushed down the street.....that was the problem with this city....there were psychos everywhere.....
His nerves were jangled and instead of the subway he opted for a cab instead....it was ridiculously expensive but he felt a little relieved to be away from others for a little while...
He was surprised that the driver resembled the smiling man so much that they could have been twins....if it weren't for the different clothing he'd have sworn they were one and the same!!!!
And when he paid the fare and included a very modest tip the driver had smiled and thanked him....and Norman was sure it was the same smile....but then he realized he was being ridiculous.....and hurried into his apartment building.....moments later he shut his apartment door behind him and he felt his tension melt away....home safe!!!
He went into his bedroom, decorated with Broadway memorabilia, and changed into his pajamas....then stepped into his living room.....he needed a drink....
And he was there!!!!
The smiling man was there!!!!
He was admiring his most treasured item....a huge theater poster featuring Katherine Dumond in her greatest role as "Madam Satan" in the play "From Hell She Came".....
"What are you doing in my apartment!!!! Get out of here or I'll....I'll call the police!!!"
"No need for that Norman....I was just admiring your collection.....my goodness she's beautiful.....no wonder you admire her so much...."
"How did you get in here....what do you want?"
"No Norman it's not what I want....it's what do you want....I could make you a star....if that's what you want...."
"What are you some kind of agent or something?"
The man chuckled....
"Some kind of agent....I guess you could say that....I have many jobs, Norman, I am everywhere in this wicked old world...and I do my best to keep it a wicked old world...that's my main job....I am the one who makes dreams come true for people like you...I am the one who fulfills your desires....I have many names Norman, but for our deal you may call me....Sid"
"Sid!!! You break into my home and tell me all that and then tell me to call you Sid!!!"
"Well you have to call me something.....I answer to most anything....but I figured that If I was going to be your agent...."
"Look....what do you want...."
"I want to make you a star....like you want....just like Katherine Dumond...isn't that what you want more than anything?"
Norman felt it almost before he understood it...
"Oh my god....you're the devil....you're real....I never believed you were real..."
"So few people do Norman, and that makes my life a bit easier....no more of those tiresome witch hunts and things like that.....now I pretty much come and go as I please....and one of my favorite things to do is to fulfill the wishes of people just like you Norman....I could give you stardom.....I could grant you your deepest desire....it's easy...one snap of my fingers and it's done..."
"But why....why me....I'm nobody....how do you even know that's what I wanted..."
"Hey....I'm the devil....I know things....I could tell you things about people....heck...you know that nice couple in apartment 6J.....I could tell you things about them that would curl your hair....but of course....I already made a deal with them....so...yes...I know about your dreams of stardom....and I can give that to you...."
"And what do you get in return?"
"Really? You're a theater buff and you're asking what the devil gets in return for making your wishes come true? Haven't you ever seen Faust....or....Damn Yankees...."
"You want my soul...."
"You'll never miss it....and to be honest with you most of the Broadway and Hollywood stars made deals with me long ago....and they all seem to be doing pretty well...."
"But then I'd go to Hell when I die....eternal torment and torture...."
"Look....it's true you'd be joining us in the infernal realm....but....honestly....you were already going.....the big guy up there is pretty strict about who gets into Paradise....one sin and you're out....in your case I think it had something to do with a girl at summer camp when you were fourteen.....I believe some seed was spilled upon the ground....perfectly  normal as far as I'm concerned but in the big book it's still a sin...."
"So...you're saying I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't...."
"That's about the size of it....so live out your life in this little hovel with your shrine to the stars....or become a star yourself and put this life behind....your choice....and remember I get your soul either way....it's a one time offer....so what's it going to be?"
"You'll make me a star....just like her...."
"I'll make you a star of stage and screen....people will clamor to see you....fans will flock to you....just like her!!!! For the next ten years you will perform and the people will cheer for you....and then I'll return to you and collect your soul...."
"Only ten years....that doesn't seem like much...."
"Oh my stars....you theatrical types....you think it never ends....alright....live your whole natural life and I'll get you in the end....is that alright with you?"
"Alright.....make me a star....a big star....just like Katherine Dumond...."
The man snapped his fingers and a huge document appeared....
"Just sign the contract and your wishes will come true..."
"Should I sign it in blood or something...."
Goodness...you traditionalists....no...I think that's kind of icky if you must know....a ballpoint pen will suffice to seal our deal.....but you can use the red one if you like...."
He signed the contract....in red....and the devil smiled and snapped his fingers and the world around him swirled and changed....
 
There was a knock on his dressing room door....
"Five minutes Honey.....it's a packed house tonight...."
Night after night.....she went out and performed....she was a star as he had promised...and she was a woman just like Katherine Dumond....and the audience applauded....and they all wanted her.....and as she peeled her clothes off for them she could only think of how it had worked out....
And many nights she could swear that there was a familiar face in the front row....with a small smile.....














No comments:

Post a Comment