Saturday, August 25, 2018

Saturday Matinee - All the Presidents Men



It took her a few moments to realize the pounding wasn't a dream, but someone hammering on her door!!! She glanced at the clock, 3:35am, who on earth could be at her door at this hour!!!
She pulled on her robe as she rushed to the door and peeked through the peephole....there was a smallish man....in a cheap sports coat and a stained white shirt who was nervously looking over his shoulder as he banged on her door!!!!
"Who are you....what do you want?" she shouted through the door.
"Lady please....my name is Gerald Plummer....I'm a reporter for The Washington Star....please I have to talk to you...."
"About what....in the middle of the night....go away or I'll call the police...."
"Please. please.....just let me in for a couple of minutes....you're in grave danger!!! And if you call the police we'll both be dead within the hour!!!"
"What nonsense is this!!! Go away...."
"Please Ms. Kerrigan....look through the peephole and tell me if you remember this picture!"
She put her eye to the peephole once more and he fumbled in his jacket pocket before pulling a print of an old photo out and holding it up for her to see!
"Why yes I remember that picture....how did you get it?"
"Please....just give me a couple of minutes....I can explain what's going on!!!"
She looked at him again and told him to wait a moment....she went to her gun safe and took out her Glock 9mm....she smiled....a girl can't be too safe living alone without protection.....she checked the magazine as she slammed it home and chambered a round.....the safety was on but that could be undone in the blink of an eye....and holding the loaded weapon she carefully unlocked the door and quickly moved back to prevent any surprise lunges from the smaller sweating man...
He rushed in and slammed the door behind him.....rather than looking at her he quickly re-locked the door.....when he turned and saw the gun he seemed more relieved than frightened!!!
"Oh you're armed, that's good....can you hit anything with that?"
"Damn right I can....now talk....what's going on....why is a reporter banging on my door in the middle of the night?"
"Can I sit and catch my breath?"
She gestured with the pistol toward her dining table...
"Sit over there....but I'm waiting and I'm losing my patience....maybe I should just call the police and we can all talk this over?"
"No!!!! Not the police!!! Neither of us will see sunrise if the police come here!!!"
"You're crazy!!!"
He fumbled the picture out again and slapped it down on the table...
"Is that you in this picture Ms. Kerrigan?"
"Yes that's me and my roommates when we were at Harvard...."
"Their names were Diana Kennedy and Gina McGovern...is that correct?"
"Yes that was their names....wait....what do you mean their name were?"
"They're both dead Ms. Kerrigan....both within the last 48 hours....according to the police Ms. Kennedy was killed by a bomb she had been building to attack a federal facility and Ms. McGovern was killed in a shootout with police when they raided her heroin lab...."
"But that's ridiculous....Diana was an artist and Gina was a pre-school teacher!!!!"
"Maybe so....but that doesn't matter now....the official story is that they were criminals who got what they deserved....the government has closed both cases..."
"But....I don't understand any of this....and what has this got to do with me?"
"Who else is in the picture Ms. Kerrigan?"
"Well there were the three of us and....I don't remember his name....he was Diana's boyfriend........she used to make him dress up like a girl....and we all went along with it....he looked kind of cute and we would all take turns doing his hair or makeup....it was a little kinky but we all had fun....we all called him Sissy as I recall.....it was so long ago!!! What has any of this got to do with me and them and you!!!"
"I uncovered this picture in an old yearbook last month and I pitched the story to my editor about tracking all these girls down to see what had happened to them...he gave me the go-ahead....a nice story for the Sunday magazine....a kind of where are they now story....so I started digging but I was coming up empty....I had a friend in the FBI and I asked him if he could help me and he said it would be a piece of cake...."
She had put the gun down now and was holding the picture on both hands trying to remember that night...a pajama party just for us girls but Diana had brought him along and we had all dressed him in a nightie...we had all seen his tiny manhood and we had shared a good laugh about it....and although he was blushing he joined in the laughter!!!
We did each others nails and hair and then we all did his too....Diana thought this was sexy but we just enjoyed having a boy we could tease and play with....before the night was over he was just like one of the girls!!!!
"My friend at the FBI called me and gave me your name....and the two other girls....he had your addresses too....."
"What about that fourth girl?" I asked.
"She's tough....I'm having a little trouble matching her up.....give me a couple of days!"
The more she stared at the picture the more the night came back to her....it had been so much fun....she doubted she had laughed so much anytime since....poor Diana....poor Gina.....what was going on....
"A couple of days later I called my friend at the FBI and he was gone....like he'd never been there.....the person who answered the phone told me there was no agent of that name available and asked me to leave my name and number....I hung up fast...my phone rang back a moment after I hung up....I picked it up....
"Hello is this Mr. Plummer?" a voice asked."
"Yes I'm Gerald Plummer....what can I do for you?"
The line went dead.....shortly the news hit the wires about the death of Diana Kennedy....I thought it was just a macabre coincidence until I got word of the death of Gina McGovern.....it was then I realized that everyone associated with that picture in your hands was dead....except for you and me.....and they were dead with government approved stories to explain them away...now do you understand.....we're the only two that know the secret....we have to hide.....and we have to move fast!!!!"
"Why? I don't understand.....what secret?"
"Look at the picture again.....look at the sissy....look close....tell me who you see..."
"It was just another one of Diana's sissy boyfriends....she did it to all the boys she dated....it was her thing....he wasn't anything special!!!"
"Look again damnit!!! Look at that face.....age him thirty years.....look can't you see!?!?!?"
She looked again....she could hear his voice although Diana had made him speak in a soft feminine manor.....and she thought about how he had looked before the makeup....what had she said his name was....
Then it crashed on her like a tidal wave!!!! Could it be??? Could the Sissy be....
"Oh my god......is that the President!!!!"
"We have to go now....there's no more time....they'll be here soon....
"I have to get dressed....it'll take a few minutes...."
She pulled on clothes as he kept pacing and urging her to hurry....she tucked her pistol into her waistband and grabbed an extra clip as they headed for the door....
"I have a car waiting around the corner.." he said, "someone I trust!"
"But where will we go?"
"There's a cabin I know....pretty remote....we can hide there while I try to find a way out of this for us...."
They ran like thieves through the night until they were safe in the car....Gerald introduced the driver as his oldest friend Bill....no last name was offered....he was just Bill...
Bill drove for over an hour before he told them they could sit up....they were far outside of the city now!!!!
"How far is it to the cabin?"
"Not too far....but I have to check something first....."
"What....we're in a hurry Bill...."
Pulling to a stop Bill turned to face them....
"I have one thing I have to do before we go any further...."
"What's that Bill?"
"I'm to say that "Sissy says goodbye"....."
Before she could react a small red hole opened in her forehead and Gerald began to shout and a matching hole opened in his....
Bill put the gun down on the seat and got out of the car....a dark sedan pulled up and he got in and another man took his place as their driver....
The headline in the Washington Star read that their reporter and his lover had died in a murder/suicide pact....and the President adjusted his garter belt as he read the news...
He sighed.....another loose end taken care of.....









No comments:

Post a Comment