Saturday, November 13, 2021

Saturday Matinee - Southern Gothic


 
 
He was always Daddy's boy....
Even though she knew his secrets....Daddy was always on his side.....
Whenever she tried to expose him as the little sissy he was, Daddy would always end up punishing her....she spent a lot of time over Daddy's knee....
When the end came for Daddy, he was still defending his boy....
A local boy had spread some salacious gossip about his boy doing sinful things with other boys!!!! Daddy was apoplectic....furious that these false rumors had slandered his only son!!!!
When the heart attack took him, he was on the phone with the local sheriff....one of his oldest friends....
There had been some attempts to revive him but Daddy was as dead as a door nail...the drug she'd put in his coffee was almost impossible to detect...unless you were looking for it and nobody was looking for it....
The funeral had been an ordeal as she had been shunted aside....her lack of grief at the loss of her Daddy was considered a little odd but it didn't matter because the community rushed to her brother....to support him in his hour of loss....
She was the oldest and because her Daddy's Last Will could not be found she inherited the house and business....and all the money....although she promised she would always take care of her little brother....
She soon began the changes that would affect his life in so many profound ways....
He was forced to literally beg, on his knees, for any small amount of money he might need...
He was constantly reminded of his status in the house he'd grown up in....
His car and school things were taken away because they would only lead him into trouble....
But strangely, his case of "things" was left untouched although it was clear his sister knew all about them....
A special doctor began to make regular visits and prescribed weekly vitamin injections...and he felt like he was changing but he was having so much trouble thinking clearly these days....
But he knew something was wrong....and he had to get away....and one moonless night he slipped silently away....he would get help.....his Daddy's friend.....the sheriff....he'd help him....he'd know what to do....
He had no car and the walk into town seemed endless....but he made it to the sheriff's office shortly after dawn and was very surprised to find the sheriff already at his desk...
"Please....you have to help me.....it's my sister....she's doing something to me....."
"Just calm down youngster....what do you think she's doing to you?"
"She's.....I don't know....but she's changing me...."
The phone on the sheriff's desk rang, startling the young man....
"Alright hold on.....let me answer this and then we'll talk...."
He picked up the phone....
"Hello....oh yes....he's here right now....sitting across from me....he's making some wild accusations.....I understand.....would you mind if I came out there this morning just to check up on things....alright I'll be there soon.....yes I'll bring him with me....Alright....bye-bye...."
The young man was terrified....
"I don't want to go back there....please let me stay here....you go see and I'll wait for you to get back...."
"I'm sorry but I have to take you back whether or not you want to go....she has a doctor's order that says you've become mentally unstable.....so you can come along nice....or I can put you in cuffs.....either way we're both going.....
With no alternatives he tried to run....and a deputy coming in the door grabbed him....
"Problem here sheriff?"
"No Barney....he's just a little....confused....cuff him and put him in the back of my cruiser....I'm going to take him home....."
"Shouldn't you take a gun with you Sheriff...in case of trouble...."
"Now Barney....you know I never carry a gun...."

Three months later the sheriff stopped by to check in on them....
"Is he OK now Helen? Does he understand his place...."
"Oh yes....Doctor Sprague has assured me that his new persona is firmly in place....and he seems to be enjoying his new place in my house....."
"And so we're on for Friday then?"
"Oh yes.....he's been giving me exemplary service....but I want to see him get some experience with men...."
"Well it'll be me and Barney, Wally from the Filling Station, Floyd and maybe Gomer...maybe a few others....."
"Goodness....so many are interested in my little brother's....education...."
"Well....ever since you gave me that picture of him looking so sweet while he....tended to you....It's the biggest thing in Mayberry, Helen....and everyone is talking about it!!!"
"Well I guess that's just life in a small town...."

 













No comments:

Post a Comment